The smell of cornbread baking in the oven is a delicious way to get your family in the Thanksgiving spirit! Serve this classic cornbread as an accompaniment to your Turkey Day feast, or give it as a gift. Stop into iParty and purchase a decorative tin and tissue, place several squares of cornbread inside, finish with a tied ribbon… what better gift than a hearty holiday favorite certain to warm the heart and satisfy the appetite!
You will need the following items for this project:
- Cornmeal (fine, yellow)
- Baking powder
- Milk (whole is best, at room temperature)
- Egg (large, at room temperature)
- 9x5 loaf pan
- Wire rack (for cooling)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Using butter, grease bottom and sides of 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ½ cup flour, ½ cup cornmeal, 1½ tsp sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1 tsp salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup milk and the egg.
- Pour milk & egg mixture into flour mixture, stir until just combined. (Do not over-stir, the batter should be lumpy.)
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
- Put in oven, bake 20-25 minutes. (The top should be golden brown, and a cake tester or tooth pick inserted into the center should come out clean.)
- Remove from cornbread from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cornbread can be stored for several days, just wrap it in plastic.