Pop up a batch of popcorn and make these Halloween Treats. They look and taste great!
- 2 cups white corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Orange food coloring
- Green food coloring
- Small bowl of popped popcorn
- Medium bowl of popped popcorn
- Large bowl
- Candy thermometer
- 2 large spoons
- Plastic wrap
What to do:
- Heat the corn syrup, vinegar and salt in the saucepan until it reaches 250 degrees on the candy thermometer.
- Add the vanilla, and then pour 2/3 of the mixture into the large bowl and color it with the orange food coloring.
- Pour the remaining mixture into the medium bowl and color it with the green food coloring.
- Pour the hot orange mixture onto the medium bowl of popcorn. Mix well with a spoon.
- Pour the hot green mixture onto the small bowl of popcorn. Mix well with a spoon.
- When the popcorn is warm (not hot) use buttered hands to form the orange into balls and the green into stems. Press the pumpkins and stems together while they’re still warm.
- Press in raisins to make faces. Wrap the popcorn pumpkins in plastic wrap.
Variation: Omit raisins, cut out facial features from black construction paper and glue onto the plastic wrap.
Practical tip: Work quickly but keep hands buttered to prevent burnt fingers.
-- Penny Warner