Let's Talk Turkey
Thanksgiving is all about family, friends, football, food and FUN! Check out some of these ideas for an easy, festive and fun holiday!
Turkey Day Tips
- Determine whether you will serve dinner at the table or if you will have a buffet. Once you’ve decided then plan where food will be placed, or stage chafing racks and canned fuel at your buffet the night before. If you are lucky enough to have helpers this will make it easier to assign tasks and if you don’t it will be one less thing to think about.
- Set your table the night before. Select a Thanksgiving theme or color scheme for you table and coordinate your dishes, tablecloth, plates, napkins, serveware and centerpieces around it. Burgundy, orange, gold and deep purples are beautiful colors for this time of year.
- Make clean up easy by using foil pans for cooking.
- Use place cards at the table to make it easier for guests to be seated when dinner is ready.
- Have wine charms available so guests can keep track of their glasses.
- Use 7” paper plates and beverage napkins in Thanksgiving themed prints or colors for hors d’ouevres.
- Use frilly toothpicks for finger foods. They dress up the platter and can also be used to help identify like looking items. For example red is in the cheddar cheese and blue is in the monterey jack.
- If you’re traveling with food use acrylic serving platters or bowls with lids.
The Ultimate Kid’s Table
If you have many children coming to dinner set up a Kid’s Table with fun place settings with lots of activities to keep children entertained. Try some of these ideas:
- Use a white paper tablecover for children to decorate with crayons and stickers before or during dinner.
- Include foil pilgrim hats or bonnets at each place setting.
- Play a game of Pin the Hat on Turkey!
- Set the table with Thanksgiving themed paper tableware to avoid any mishaps and make it easy for children to assist with clean up.
- Use orange, purple, gold, ivory and burgundy balloons as a centerpiece for the kid’s table.
Check out our Thanksgiving project ideas for fun activities children can do either on or before Thanksgiving Day!
Gags & Goofs
- Answer your door in our Turkey costume or try our turkey hat or drumstick headboppers!
- Serve an inflatable turkey!
For the football fans in attendance, setting up an area to watch football is a must! You can create a fun spot for kids and adults perfect for game viewing and team cheering with balloons, beads, pom-poms, bad call bricks, and penalty flags. Throw in some extras for the kids like a football piñata and head boppers and it’s a touchdown!