Who needs Stephen King? Create your own suspense story, and keep listeners on the edge of their seats.
How to play:
- Dim the lights in the party room.
- Choose one player to begin, and give that player the flashlight. Have the player shine it under his or her chin and begin a suspenseful story.
- Just as the most exciting part is about to happen (the cliffhanger) have the storyteller pass the flashlight to another player, who must continue the story from that point.
- Tell the next player to also end at a suspenseful part and pass along the flashlight.
- Continue until all players have had a turn.
- Have the last player end the story. The conclusion can be happy or tragic, depending on your group.
Variation: Pick words from the dictionary that suggest suspense, such as screamed, buried frozen, plummeted, vicious, invisible, bloody and so on. Write them on index cards, pass them out to players, and have the players include the selected words in the story.
-- Penny Warner